Saturday, June 30, 2012

Settling Old and New Accounts

A few months ago I switched my cell phone over from a contract family plan to a prepaid individual plan. I still wanted to keep my original phone number, since that’s the number people already associated with me—it was, in essence, my phone identity.  But I still had to get a new number with the new plan, pay for the first month, and then request my old phone number back from T-Mobile. When T-Mobile switched my account back to the old number, the new number that I’d received after departing from my initial account was erased, along with the balance for the entire account.  In this case this was not a good thing—I had already made a payment, which was now gone! But what if this happened for an account on which I’d owed money?  What if it was an account I’d had for several months and hadn’t been paying my bills? If suddenly that account was erased, my debt to the company would be cancelled. I would have my original account, the ‘identity’ I was given in my initial contract with the company, but without anything owed.


All of humanity has departed from our original identity, the identity God gave us in the beginning. He intended us to be His children living in obedience to Him.  We have forsaken the initial contract (covenant) with Him and have chosen a different way, the faulty way of self-rule. He has continued to show us mercy, but we have not repaid Him with equal love.  Instead, all mankind keeps sinning against Him, accumulating a debt we can never repay, which must eventually be met with justice.


God, however, allows us to put in a request for a fresh start. But the new identity He gives us isn't really new--it's actually the identity He intended for us to have in the first place! Once again we have the chance to be His children, obedient to Him--and eternally loved by Him! Our account of deviance is erased completely, with the balance of sin deleted, and we revert, through the cleansing blood of Jesus and the work of the Holy Spirit, back to the original plan, becoming the cherished sons and daughters of God that He has always wanted us to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment